Thursday, September 1, 2011

Wife Rule #130 - The Alvin Rule

Generally, I would discourage calling your significant other a shrew, particularly if she has asked you not to.

My friend Alvin and I went with our significant others to go see a local production of Taming of the Shrew. I made several jokes about my wife being akin to the titular character, which Alvin found amusing. In fairness my wife took my gentle prodding with good grace and gave as good as she got during the conversation.

Later, my wife got annoyed by the comparison and so I had to change course in order maintain the pleasantness of the evening.

So be care with this term. It is never flattering and if it is not done in the right context and with restraint it can lead to harm even if was not intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Wife Rules on Facebook